Got a rather unusual e-mail today from the editor at the Gallery Seven Fantasy Anthology. It included a rejection for “Old Nag,” which he called interesting. At the same time, he accepted “Tapewyrm,” which was recently rejected by Shimmer.
Two rejections so far, one from Southern Fried Wierdness for “Old Nag.” He really liked the story and sat on the fence with it for awhile, but ultimately felt it was more Western than Southern. I went through something similar with Touched by Wonder with this one; this thing is having a hard time finding a home.
The other came from Black Dragon, White Dragon for “Tapewyrm.” He said it’s an interesting story, with a character you can empathize with (which is a good sign, I guess…that’s not always one of my strengths), but didn’t like the fact that the character had nothing to do with his cure (although I’d argue that there’s a lot in medicine you simply have to rely on a doctor for). The story is similar to “Where the Sun Don’t Shine,” and even shares a medical character (that story is under review at GUD now).
The editor offered a few suggestions, but I don’t see any need to change…at least not yet. “Dreadneck” was rejected by their other anthology and snapped up by ASIM with only a couple of tweaks.
Now “Tapewyrm” is off to Shimmer. I will crack that market one day.
Not much progress on the novel this week. I hit a minor roadblock with the second new chapter and decided to take a small break. I know where I want to go, I’m just a little stummped on how to get there from here.
So instead, I wrote a couple of stories and subbmitted them to anthologies. The first was a tale about a guilt-ridden werewolf priest in “For the Good of the Flock,” which has been sent to Lycanthrope: The Beast Within. The second was about a man who gets an intestinal parasite, but in this case it’s a dragon in “Tapewyrm.” That one went to Black Dragon, White Dragon (I know, I know, I’m a glutton for punishment).
Finally finished one of the two new chapters. Then it’s on through the previously written four chapters, and rewite # 1 is done.
After that, though, I think I’m going to have to let it sit awhile and then comeback for another rewrite. As I go along, there are some points that hit me as insufficent when I think back. I don’t want to lose the momentum I’ve got going, so I’ll take care of those later.
The Final Quarter rewrite is going much more smoothly than I had anticipated. I’ve gone through the first seven chapters and done the necessary revisions to make it fit in with the fantasy theme. It’s taken much less than I thought. Of course, I may find out differently once I put this through Critters, but so far, I’ve been able to add, change and delete with relative ease. I’m not sure how many new words I’ve written, but the additions have happened slightly faster than the deletions, so I’m about a thousand words ahead of where I was yesterday.
The first seven chapters mark something of a milestone because it’s after this point I have to write two new chapters instead of just revising. I think the first one will be a little harder than the second, but hte two should add somewhere in the neighborhood of 13,000 to 15,000 words.
Just finished the prologue for my novel, tentatively called The Final Quarter. Aside from two new chapters a little down the line, most of what comes from here is reworking what already exists, so one of the hardest parts is finally done (I’ll probably look back on that statement one day soon and laugh manically). But I’m really pumped about this, much more than I have been in awhile.